Low-cal, low-carb, low-sugar, but as sweet and gorgeous as ever
A lemon meringue pie with no added sugar took us a few goes to perfect, but we have got it nailed down and we are ready to share the recipe with you guys! It might be a little bit retro, but we still love it - when something is this tasty, it's pretty undeniable.
Tangy lemon custard sits inside a Lo-Dough case and the whole thing is topped with pillow-soft meringue. Traditionally, this is an extremely high-sugar dessert, The custard, meringue and pastry would all contain a fairly large quantity of the stuff.
Lo-Dough - The Low-Calorie Pastry Replacement
By swapping the pastry out for Lo-Dough and the sugar out for sweetener (we use erythritol), you can reduce the sugar down to next to nothing and with that, the calories drop down too.
It's an easy recipe to make and will satisfy any sweet cravings you might have. Give it a go!
- 1 piece of
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 165ml of single cream
- 25ml milk
- 70g of erythritol
For the Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- The juice of half a lemon
- 45g of erythritol
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
- Preheat your oven to 140c/Gas Mark One. In a sauce pan, gently heat up the cream, lemon zest and milk.
- While the cream is heating, whisk the 2 eggs, 4 egg yolks, lemon juice and sweetener thoroughly.
- Pour the hot cream over the egg mixture, whisking the whole time. Allow to cool.
Roll out your
Lo-Doughflat between two pieces of paper found in the pouch and work into a 7inch tin.
Pour in the custard mix into the
Lo-Doughand cook for 45 mins. The custard should be set, but still have a bit a wobble.
- While the custard cooks, whisk the egg whites and the lemon juice for the meringue. As it starts to form peaks, pour in the erythritol and whisk for a further minute or two.
- minutes from the end of cooking, top the pie with the meringue whack the oven up to 200C/Gas 6.
- Take out and allow to cool on a rack and once cooled enough place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.