With Lo-Dough you bring the carbs down and the flavour up
The first Welsh Rarebit recipe actually dates back to the 18th century - around 300 years ago, so to say this recipe has stood the test of time is putting it lightly. As with all recipes, there are several twists and variations - but you will usually always find strong cheese (cheddar is ideal), mustard and Worcester sauce. Some will call for beer, others something more like a bechamel sauce. We've actually used a low-fat creme fraiche - but more of that in the recipe below.
Either way - it's the cheese and condiments that give rarebit its deep savoury flavour and makes it so satisfying.
Using Lo-Dough as your Low-carb bread replacement
By spooning your rarebit mix onto Lo-Dough instead of ordinary toast (including wholemeal varieties), you slash the calories and carbs, allowing yourself to indulge on your topping. Feel free to use a lighter cheddar if you like, but with a full-fat mature cheddar and Lo-Dough, this lunch or teatime treat still comes in at under 400 calories.
New to Lo-Dough?
Lo-Dough is a near carb-free bread and pastry replacement that makes a perfect alternative base for a pizza-style dishes like this one, slashing the calories and carbs usually found in a pizza base. Lo-Dough clocks in at just 39 calories and 2.2g of carbohydrate - a massive saving on any other bread found on the market today.
- 1 piece of
- 50g of cheddar cheese
- 40g of low fat creme fraiche
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of dijon/english mustard
- A good splash of Worcester sauce
- A crack of black pepper
- 4 sprays of oil
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
- Preheat your oven to 250°C/475F/Gas 9.
- Add the cheese, creme fraiche, mustard and Worcester sauce to a pan and cook over a low heat until melted. Once combined, take off the heat, add the egg yolk and stir well until mixed. Set aside.
Spray the oil into a pan and briefly fry off your
Lo-Doughto add some colour to the base.
Put the browned
Lo-Doughonto your cooking mesh/grill bars/pizza stone/air-fryer stand and spoon the rarebit mix over, making sure to spread it right to the edge.
- Bake in your oven for 6-8 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve straight away with a salad on the side as a meal, or on it's own as a delicious snack.
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.